Thursday, December 27, 2007

Coffee Grinder!

So my dear friend Principal Dan has one of the most amaxzing kitchens when it comes to odd devices. Butter churns, crocks, ricers, rumakaka cutters. If its old a kitchen oriented it exists at Dan's farm.
Today after he took me to dinner (I love Pho) he gifted me with one of his coffee grinders which I had been lusting after for the last year. Maxwell House and Folgers never really infiltrated the Scandinavian bastions of the Upper Midwest so these little beauties are common but rather expensive and I certainly didn't have the 80 dollars that the antiques dealers wanted. Judging by the construction and ornamentation I'd say its from the 20's or early 30's.
The top is made of cast iron and is fairly hefty (if these guys get wet they rust). Just looka t those precious daisies :)
You toss the beans into the top.
Then grind away for a few minutes and pull out this little drawer (and its dovetailed ; well grooved)
I even like the handle and grind shaft as well. This is one of the reasons I love old kitchen gadgets they were built to last forever. Seriously barring fire this thing will be around for another hundred years. The grind is course and suitable for a percolator or my preferred variety of coffee a French press. Flopper is getting the one we have though so it seems I'll have to buy a new one. It can be an adventure in Minneapolis.

Another wonderful thing to pack for my move!

~Eikon

No comments: