Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wow. Money.


So I am not really in education for the money. It should however be noted that I fully support the biblical clause that states "The worker is worth his wage." So when I finally so the payscale that the chancellor of the city schools is proposing I was very very happy.

You'll have to click on the imaage to see how the graph works but the long and short of it is that I would have a base salary of 50,000 a year with raises to keep up with inflation andan additional 5000 raise each year on top of inflation. This would bring me up to almost 67,000 in three years and that doesn't take into account the merit based bonuses which can reach an additional 20,000. I expected to hit this number in ten years and am really excited that I might actually be able to pay off my student loans in a timely manner and you know afford property here. Seriously my greatest ambitions are having no debt and a nice little condo (maybe a cottage on a mountain when I'm 45)

The downside to this is incredible oversite and an "at will" status as a teacher but honestly for that kind of money I will more than happily kiss every bureaucratic ass in hundred square miles of this fair federal city. I have friends who have taught in private schools for decades who are not making this kind of money.

Here's hoping the contract is approved.

No comments: