This is one of my Favourite recipes; a colonial shortcake. I pulled it out of a Colonial Williamsburg cookbook published in the 80's and have use it for sweet and savory dishes; just use chicken and pan sauce or beef and gravy instead of glaze and berries.
2 C of Flour
1/2 C of flour in reserve (you may need more)
1/2 ts of baking powder
1/2 ts of salt
4 T of unsalted butter softened
2/3 C of milk
Preheat oven to 425 and grease a cake pan well
1. sift dry ingredients
2. cut in butter until mixture is corn meal like
3. add 1/3 C milk and 1 egg to dry ingredients and mix well
4. add 1/3 C milk and 1 egg to ingredients and mix well
5. add last egg
6. add and mix flour into mixture a handful at a time until you can pick up the dough w/o it sticking to your hands
7. spread the dough evenly from the center of the pan out to the sides and bake for 15 minutes
8. let cool for 20 minutes and then cut in half with a bread knife to make two layers.